I’m back … finally!

After months of procrastination, I have finally brought my weblog back online, although not how I had hoped. My goal to create a weblog which posted to Radio Userland-powered sites bore a resemblance to what I do at work, so I couldn’t muster the motivation. I was probably going about it the wrong way. However, I managed to get two-thirds of the way to a system which saved its entries and configuration in XML, generated its HTML from templates and uploaded them via XML-RPC to radio.weblogs.com. Perhaps I will return to it someday.

I spent half of today configuring Blosxom, a lightweight Perl weblogging script which stores its weblog entries in plain text files. The downside is that I have to host my own weblog rather than have someone else do it. The upside is that, barring the Apache configuration I had to perform, it was a snap to install. Many thanks to Sam Ruby for his modified Blosxom script and the helpful posts on the Blosxom mailing list.

Now I have a place to showcase the XHTML 1.0 strict compliant weblog design I have been working on the past couple of weeks. Anyone who has looked around for CSS examples will no doubt recognise the complexspiral influence. The design is similar but I have done it a little differently, choosing to use list elements for the menu on the left, and opting for proper HTML elements instead of

tags aplenty. There are precisely three
elements on this page. (See if you can guess where they are before viewing the source.) The result is a page which looks great in Lynx as well as any CSS-compliant browser, such as Mozilla.

For my next trick, I plan to enable an RSS feed for this weblog and see about importing my most-recent subscription list from Amphetadesk.

Leave a Reply